What do I have to do in order to get a document certified?

Logo of the Canton of Bern
State Chancellery
  • de
  • fr
  • en

What do I have to do in order to get a document certified?

You can get documents certified by sending them to us by post or by coming to the counter in our office. Here you will find out what you have to do and what additional information we may need from you.

Measures and recommendations for protection against the coronavirus

We recommend that you send a document to us by post in order to have it certified. If you come to our office, you must wear a mask in the building. We would kindly request you to pay the fee at the counter with a credit card.

There are some documents that we cannot directly certify. Here can you see which documents the State Chancellery can certify immediately and which must be provisionally certified by another authority beforehand:

Certification of documents: When is the State Chancellery the right place to go?

Written certification. What you have to do:


We recommend that you write to us in order to obtain the certified documents. Put all the original documents that need to be certified in an envelope with a covering letter that tells us:

  • what country the documents are intended for
  • your contact details (address, email address and a telephone number)


Send the original documents with your covering letter to the following address:

Staatskanzlei des Kantons Bern
Amt für Regierungsunterstützung und politische Rechte
Postgasse 68
3000 Bern 8


We will certify the documents and send them back to you. You will receive the documents back within a week.


We will enclose our invoice with the certified documents.
Certification costs CHF 25.00 per document.

Certification at the counter. What you have to do:

If you have individual documents that need to be certified, you can get this done at the counter in our office:

State Chancellery of the Canton of Bern
Postgasse 68
3011 Bern

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday,
09.00 to 12.00
13.00 to 16.00

After a short wait, you can pay for the certified document and take it away. You can pay by credit card or in cash. If you want to have several documents certified at the counter, you will have to wait longer. We recommend that if you need to have five or more documents certified, you should send them to us by post.

Share this page
Office for Government Support and Political Rights
Postgasse 68
Post office box
3000 Bern 8
no: +41 31 633 75 11Contact via EmailContact by form
City plan
Open map

Counter opening hours

Monday - Friday
09.00 – 12.00
13.00 – 16:00